The US accounts for only 4.4 of the world’s population, but takes over 60% of the world’s medications.
With this many prescriptions being filled and medication being taken, it seems important to address the extra stress and the nutrient deficiencies that these medications can cause. This factors heavily into a population that is already malnourished albeit overly fed with poor food.
Let’s take a look at the most common prescribed medications and the deficiencies that they cause.
- Blood Pressure meds – CoEnzyme Q10, Zinc, Potassium, Sodium, Magnesium, Folic Acid, Calcium, B1, B6, Vitamin C
- Cholesterol meds – Coenzyme Q10
- Anti-biotics – Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin K, beneficial bacteria
- Anti-acids – All minerals, B12, Folic Acid, Vit. D, Iron, Impairs protein digestion
- Anti-depressants – Coenzyme Q10, Melatonin, B2
- Anti-inflammatory steroids – Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, Folic Acid, Vit. D, Vit. C, B6, B12
- NSAIDS pain relievers – Folic Acid, Iron, Vit. C
- Diabetic meds – Coenzyme Q10, Folic Acid, B12
- Birth Control meds – Folic Acid, Vit. C, B12, B6, B1, B2, B3, Zinc, Selenium, Trace minerals
These are only the ones we know about.
A good quality Multi-Vitamin and Mineral is a must in our modern era of non nutrient dense food as well as the many medications we ingest, both knowingly and unknowingly. I say unknowingly since much of our meat has antibiotics within it as well as our water.
Our water supply is showing levels of medication unseen in the past since many of our neighbors are on meds and the water treatment systems from the municipalities that we live in can’t remove them from the water. Time to consider a good water purification system for your home too.
If you are taking any of these medications this means that you have a chronic disease that needs to be addressed. Addressed by finding out what the cause is, not by medicating it.
Talk to a Functional Medicine practitioner about how to overcome these chronic health issues and to overcome these deficiencies by using a high quality Multi-Vitamin and Mineral. Learn what is right for you and your situation as well as how to recognize quality.
Start by investigating whether or not Functional Medicine is right for you.